Friday, June 11, 2021


 Baked Alaska


I've always wanted to try a Baked Alaska. I mean it looks delicious, it sounds delicious, and it also is easy! 

Baked Alaska was originally a sponge cake base with ice cream and covered in marshmallowy meringue. It has been tweaked a little so now the base is brownie with ice cream and covered in meringue. Frankly, I think the brownie was a great call. BTW I guess it's called Baked Alaska because it looks like an igloo??? 

I got the recipe off of Sally's Baking Addiction https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/brownie-baked-alaska/, which is my favorite baking website and very reliable. 

Preparation was soooo easy. I halved the recipe however because it was a huge amount. 

Soften the ice cream. 
Put it into the mixer so it's creamy and smooth. 
Line a glass bowl (I think mine was 8 inch.) with plastic wrap. 
Pour ice cream into aforementioned bowl. 
Cover with plastic wrap and stick in the freezer. 
Make brownies. 
Bake in a greased parchment paper 8x8 square glass pan. 
Stick in the freezer. 
Combine sugar, egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla extract. Beat until stiff peaks form and glossy. 
Place brownie on platter. 
Take the plastic wrapped ice cream dome out of the bowl and place the bowl upside down on the brownie. Cut around the bowl so you have a round brownie. 
Place the ice cream on top of your brownie and unwrap it. 
Cover in meringue, making sure there is no ice cream showing. Use a spoon to make swirls and peaks. 
Either bake, torch, or flambé! I used a propane torch (I don't own a kitchen torch but just use our fire starting one.) Torching is super easy and beautiful, so I went that route. 
Serve and enjoy! 

I used brownie mix-since we had some and I wanted easiest preparation possible. For my ice cream I used mint chip. You can use whatever kind really, but mint chip is my favorite and it reminds me of Alaska the most (moose tracks would also be great, actually!) and pairs great with brownie. Above I noted that I halved the recipe but I did do the regular amount of meringue because half wasn't enough and I did have a little extra afterwards. Also, this recipe made the meringue with a double boiler, which is fine, but I did the first half just in the mixer and when I realized it wasn't going to be enough did the second half in the double boiler. The only difference is that the sugar gets dissolved with the double boiler. But I actually don't like the taste of the double boiler meringue as much, plus it's easier. But it's entirely up to you. Also, half the recipe still made a large amount, the full recipe would have been a LOT. 

All in all this recipe was a success. But I found out that I don't actually enjoy Baked Alaska all that much. I love ice cream, brownie, and meringue. But by themselves! Together it was just a little much for me. However, it still was delicious! I totally recommend making this-it's a party pleaser, it's large, looks complicated, looks fancy, and tastes amazing, as well as being incredibly easy.

If you make this please let me know in the comments! Thanks and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment