Saturday, February 4, 2023

Homemade Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipe

 YES. I made ice cream that I can eat. There's just something about missing out on special foods or desserts or watching other people enjoy desserts chock full of dairy and gluten (or any other allergies).

So I decided I would take initiative, save eight bucks, and make my own cashew milk ice cream. 

It was surprisingly easy. It sounds intimidating, but it's actually pretty hands off. I kind of combined a few different recipes and modified them a bit for my needs. 

Ingredients 

I cup of raw cashews 

Boiling water 

1 can (13-15 oz) of coconut milk/cream (I use Thai Kitchen brand) 

1/4-1/2 cup of maple syrup, depending on your sweetness preference

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 

a dash of salt 

cocoa powder if you'd like to make it chocolate ice cream, or any add-ins you would like! 


Preparation 

Pour your cashews in a mason jar or similar container and cover with boiling water for about 6 hrs. 

After they are done soaking, drain the water and rinse the cashews. 

Blend the cashews (I used a NutriBullet) until smooth and thick. Trust the process! 

Add in the remaining ingredients together and blend until smooth. It will be fairly thin. 

Pour into a loaf pan and stick in the freezer. 

I added cocoa powder to my mixture (totally didn't measure it :) and after I put it in the loaf pan I swirled in some melted peanut butter, and topped with chocolate chips. 

Pretty darn good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment