Monday, April 17, 2023

On My Bookshelf

 My goal this year is to read at least one fiction and one non fiction book a month. I've been doing pretty good with this goal, though I am a little behind right now. 

I've read a lot of great books so far, and I copy down some of my favorite quotes or things that stuck out to me in a notebook, along with a brief summary, my "review and rating", how many pages the book was and a rough estimate of how much time it took for me to read it. 

  • The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley-this is such an intriguing story, following the adventures of young chemist Flavia de Luce, as she tries to uncover the truth about an unusual murder. I highly recommend this book (one out of a long series). 

  • Kilmeny of the Orchard by L.M Montgomery-I really liked this story, a story about a young schoolteacher who falls in love with a mysterious girl in an unusual circumstance. I love L.M Montgomery, and this book was full of beautiful quotes.

  • Think Like a Horse by Grant Goliher-This is a nonfiction book detailing many lessons about communication, boundaries, trust, and respect all learned by working with horses that can apply to everyday life and work. This book is 100/10, it's helpful in working with horses and people, and there are so many little nuggets of wisdom in each page. 

  • The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell-I can't say I entirely loved this book; it was a little tedious and the range of applicable lessons were more narrow, but I did learn a lot. The book answers two questions: why some ideas, behaviors, or products start social epidemics and others don't as well as what we can do to deliberately start and control epidemics of our own. I do recommend this book! 

  • Finish by Jon Acuff-Another non fiction book I loved. The idea of this book is simple: finish. It teaches through funny and simple chapters how to get past obstacles and complete your goals. I love this book. 

  • Keeper of the Lost Cities #2 and #3 by Shannon Messenger-I really love this series and have reread it multiple times. The style of writing isn't my favorite, but it does fit the feel of the book. It is so intriguing and the books are on the longer side. I don't get a lot of great quotes from these books, but  I really love all the mystery behind it. 
Like I said, I'm a bit behind and still have to read my two books this month, but I am going to read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and (probably) Love Does by Bob Goff. 
Thank you for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment