Tuesday, June 13, 2023

where I work

Where I work there is lots of laughter. 

Laughter from excited children as they stand on their tiptoes and peer into the gelato case. 

Laughter from the grandparents who bring the whole family in for a treat. 

Laughter from the adults who just need a little pick me up milkshake before work. 

Laughter from the travelers who say it tastes just like Italy. 

Laughter from the tourists who love this little antique gem. 

Of course, working in costumer service, you can't please everyone. There's the 'the texture's weird' 'there's not enough samples for how many choices there are' the 'these are too sweet' the 'it's too expensive the 'how did you not understand'. There's the unclear orders and the rude comments and the complicated customers. 

But there's also the 'this tastes like heaven', 'I love this store', 'thank you for being so patient with us', 'I'm so impressed', 'I love your apron', 'thank you so much', 'you made my day'. 

I need to remember to dwell on the amazing customers, not the rude ones. I meet so many kind, unkind, appreciative, impatient, and interesting people a day. I serve people who don't speak any English, people with English accents, people straight from Ireland, people from across the street, from Ohio, from Illinois, from Nigeria, from New York, from Italy. 

I love my job when I really think about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment